Sunday, August 18, 2013

Merida

I have a lot of favorite Pixar characters: Dory, Mater, Woody, Mike Wazowski (I kind of go for the "side-kicks", they have more fun and are secretly just as heroic as the heroes).  My all-time favorite is easy because she is my daughter.
Growing up there was a running joke in my family about the comic strip "Drabble."  The outlandish father figure Ralph said and did some of the silliest things.  The funny thing was that about once a week Drabble would feature something my father had actually done in real life.  I swear the artist somehow spied on my family for inspiration.
But that's nothing compared to the character of Merida in "Brave" and my Abyee Joe.  Of course there is the flowing head of curly red hair thanks to her Irish roots.  My son actually called the character Abyee when we first saw the movie she looks so similar.  Beyond the hair, though, the story is her story.
My Abyee is a fireball of passion.  She is independent and opinionated.  Often loud.  She is my princess and I have such a soft spot in my heart for her.  She has fearless and crazy younger siblings.  You might argue she lives in a castle.  Her mother wants more than anything to raise her as a good person.  And they butt heads, but at the end of the day she is deeply committed to us as her family.
Pixar, well done creating a story without a prince.  Coming of age stories are often about going out into the world and finding someone or something out there.  In reality, I think there is something so much more significant about finding that thing that is already within you.
It's like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz and her ruby slippers.  (For a TED talk about this I really enjoyed see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueOqYebVhtc&noredirect=1).  I have seen too many people out looking for the thing that will make them happy or successful...and blaming the outside world if they don't have it.  We teach Abyee that she, even at age 9, cannot see herself as a victim or her circumstances.  Every day we talk about focusing on the positive things in her life.  In other words, she has everything she needs for happiness if she will open her eyes to it.
That makes Merida strong and brave.  She doesn't need an army to come out a winner.  Instead she brings people together with respect and appreciation.  I am proud to say I see that in my Abyee as well.  Last school year, she started a new school six weeks before the end of the school year, so when school started last week she was brave enough to "adopt" the new girl in her class to show her around and help her out.  She was standing up for someone else.
Yes, Merida, you may always be my favorite.  I know that Pixar will come out with more amazing characters in the future but that girl, and her journey, her courage, and her love for her family get me every time.
I love you, Abyee.  You make me proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment