Here are some of my favorite books that have helped convince me that the "Pixar Way" is the way for me (both in my current business and in the future I am looking for)
"Creating Magic" by Lee Cockerell. This is one of the first that started transforming my way of thinking about my role at the helm of my business. I had it on audiobook and listened to it at least two times completely, aside from repeating specific sections. Still one of my favorites, which made
"The Customer Rules" by Lee Cockerell high on my list when it was published recently. Thanks Lee!
"Disney U." by Doug Lipp. I find most of my books in the Disney bookstore but this one I found in the local newspaper in an article before it came out. I really enjoyed both the history and the practical steps about improving training programs. It helped me to create a more complete and consistent training program to help my teaching staff be more thoroughly prepared and consistent.
"Be Our Guest" by Ted Kinni. This is a great recap of ideas that I experienced at Disneyland and helps encapsulate how to translate that experience into my own daily life and business. Honestly, after receiving Disney service these ideas start to seem like common sense...until I leave the park and realize it has to be an intentional behavior change.
"The Disney Way" by Bill Capodagli. This one is a classic for a reason. Full of helpful ideas. And a natural segue to...
"Innovate the Pixar Way" by Bill Capodagli. Such a great challenge to KEEP improving and thinking differently, which was important once my business started to become more "established." Resisting the urge to settle for good enough is important.
"The Pixar Touch" by David A Price. This was a fun read for me to really start to feel the "heartbeat" of the company. Honestly, my favorite moment of the whole book was the image of personalized, creative "huts" instead of cubicles. Granted, that wasn't the most PRACTICAL idea I took away from the book--but the most fun and captivating.
Then, I always seem to end up with a new reading opportunity after a Disneyland vacation, some not entirely business related.
"Designing Disney" by John Hench. I don't consider myself a "designer" per se but I am a student of design. My other favorite title "Design is How It Works." Viewing PROCESSES and not just THINGS as needed design has become important to me.
"Disneylands that Never Were" by Shaun Finnie. I found this one on my Nook e-reader, which I must say I love. Super for reading in the dark with sleeping babies :) It was so interesting to get a take on some of the creative process and history about attractions and some ideas that never materialized.
I finished two of the "Kingdom Keepers" kids novels. Having Disney World on my to-do list still, it was a fun setting but not is my "home" park of Disneyland...
"Quotable Walt Disney." This never gets old. My second favorite person to quote is Mr. Rogers. Maybe I will have to blog about Mr. Rogers another time.
I think there are still some books missing. By the way, I don't ONLY read books about Disney...they just get priority :)

No comments:
Post a Comment